Thursday 12 July 2018

How To Kick A Style Rut, According To The COH Team I’m am the definition of fashionably late. Not because I consistently look great and rock up at a semi-reasonable hour. Oh, no! If I’m being really real, my predilection for tardiness can mostly be linked to my lack of organisational skills (it’s a W.I.P, guys), but it’s also largely because I have no flippin’ idea of what to wear most mornings. Life is pain, right? One day I’ll be leaning hard into a *look*, i.e. Italian chic (think head-to-toe silk, beige, loafers and a colourful head scarf), and then out of nowhere, I’ll decide I hate anything even remotely in-line with that aesthetic. It doesn’t make sense, even to me. When the ~vibe~ pendulum swings as frequently as it does, one is bound to experience a style rut. That’s not the only reason I find myself rutting on the regular (is it illegal to turn rut into a verb? If so, sue me). A change in season can induce a rut, or a lack of inspiration can be the cause. Most of the time, a rut will appear out of nowhere, unannounced, and I’m at a loss for words to describe how I ended up there. Très frustrating. Anyhow, enough with that tragic tale. Let’s get to solutions! I sent around a quick email around the office to see how my team mates kick their own style ruts. See below for their handy tips (and mine, too), should you find yourself ruttin’. Carmen, Founder/Editor Style rut tips: 1) How do you personally pull yourself out of a style rut? I grab an extra large espresso to go, get comfy and hit Pinterest. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through the main feed (which can be overwhelming to say the least), search for archival images of your favourite style icons. My go-tos are Lauren Hutton, Jane Birkin and Kate Moss (off duty in the 90s). Pay attention to the details in their outfits for new styling ideas. Then make a private board to save all of your inspo. By the end, you’ll have a visual mood board of the new you! I often find that looking back is the best way to move forward. 2) What go-to outfit do you rely on when you’re finding it hard to get dressed of a morning? A blazer, tee and jeans. Duh! 3) What cost-effective tricks do you suggest for people who are experiencing a rut?Get yourself a few cute hair accessories (hair clips, scrunchies or head scarves). They’re a cheap and cheerful way to breathe new life into tried and tested outfits! —– Georgie, Creative Assistant Style rut tips: 1) How do you personally pull yourself out of a style rut?  Scouting through Instagram and finding outfits you like on there is a good starting point… (no crazy designer outfits) but odds are you will find an outfit and be like, “Hey I have a pair of pants like that tucked away somewhere”. No matter your personal style, sometimes it’s good to see someone else’s take on a style or trend. Also, at the moment I’m trying to get rid of quite a lot of stuff. I think that it’s easier to choose your outfit if you have a more manageable amount of clothes that you like, rather than hoarding all your old clothes and being in clutter (I am a real culprit of this). 2) What go-to outfit do you rely on when you’re finding it hard to get dressed of a morning?I usually get into a style rut in the wintertime because I get sick of wearing jeans and jumpers. So, I try to throw in a skirt every once in a while with a big oversized jumper and sneakers (Australia doesn’t get THAT cold—but Uniqlo heat tech and a coat can help in colder climates. 3) What cost-effective tricks do you suggest for people who are experiencing a rut?Before spending, start by going through all your stuff even stuff you may not have worn in a while. You may find a gem in there that can come back into your life or it’s a chance to declutter. Also, try vintage stores or op shops because they always have some unique pieces. Vintage handbags and other accessories can also help to spice up your outfits! —– Jai, Editorial Assistant   Style rut tips:1) How do you personally pull yourself out of a style rut?Well, I’m constantly in a style rut, so for me, I like to sit down, take a deep breath and visualise an outfit… then hopefully it looks just as good when I put it into play (it usually doesn’t and then the whole process repeats again, but whatever).2) What go-to outfit do you rely on when you’re finding it hard to get dressed of a morning?Black trousers, always. Worn with a top I’m feeling at that moment, most of the time I like to wear black pants with a fitted top, but if I’ve had a big dinner the night before then I stick to something on the looser side. 3) What cost-effective tricks do you suggest for people who are experiencing a rut?Mmmm, I’d day definitely go and find yourself a pair of pants that you feel confident in, a pair of mum/boyfriend jeans or trousers, any pant that you feel comfortable and look good in! Or a cute skirt that goes with most tops you own. I find that when you have a good base on the bottom you can pretty much go from there in any direction you want! I think as well accessorising can totally mix up a look. I personally love to find cute little cheap bags from china town or DAISO (or any two dollar shop really). I go for quirky colourful bags because they’re the best way to uplift a sad outfit hehe! —– Madeleine, Content Editor Style rut tips: 1) How do you personally pull yourself out of a style rut?I watch old movies and music clips (the genre/era very dependent on what vibe I’m after, at the moment it’s 80s aerobics!), and look at old coffee table books. Sometimes I’ll hit up Instagram—but oftentimes I feel this just adds fuel to the veritable rut fire, as I become overwhelmed as hell at how good everyone else’s style is, and then comparatively feel like I should probably just set fire to my wardrobe and give. up. Dramatic! So many fire references! Otherwise, I’ll head to a nearby thrift or vintage store. I find that second-hand clothes shopping is a great way to rip you out of a style rut. It’s fun (especially if you go with a friend), and it forces you to be a bit more creative in your approach to dressing, instead of just buying into trends and brands. Also, there’s no greater joy than a wardrobe update for less than the cost of dinner, amirite? 2) What go-to outfit do you rely on when you’re finding it hard to get dressed of a morning?All-black. Turtlenecks. Nice pants. Sneakers for day, and strappy heels for night. 3) What cost-effective tricks do you suggest for people who are experiencing a rut?Thrift-store shopping! Also: fun D.I.Y projects (like tie-dying), culling your wardrobe (this will also force you to revisit things you don’t wear but probs should). Also accessorise, accessorise, accessorise! If your friends are into it, hosting a clothes swap is also a fun way to get rid of old clothes. Words, Jai Kaldor  The post How To Kick A Style Rut, According To The COH Team appeared first on CHRONICLES OF HER. Jai Kaldor


via CHRONICLES OF HER https://ift.tt/2uvK3ad

No comments:

Post a Comment