Wednesday 28 March 2018

How I Bounced Back After Having My Daughter March 28, 2018 at 12:45PM


via Girl With Curves https://ift.tt/2IZSgd3

While I enjoyed strength training and rehabbing a few injuries in 2016, I took the entire year off from working out in 2017 since I was pregnant the majority of the year, and to be honest, I was in relaxation mode and just didn’t feel like working out! This year though, Dave and I have been making a conscious effort to lead an overall healthier lifestyle, so now that Mina is three months and my body has recovered from giving birth, I’m recently back in the gym and loving it!

As I’ve mentioned in the past, I used to be an avid runner, but had to stop due to injured knees. It was a huge blow at first, but it eventually led me to rehabbing my injuries through strength training, which has been really transformative for my body, mindset and overall approach to exercising.

I was lucky to bounce back pretty quickly from this pregnancy, having lost half of the 31 pounds of baby weight immediately after giving birth, and the other half over the past 3 months by cooking the majority of my meals at home vs. eating takeout 1-2 times per day like I used to. My biggest takeaway, other than home cooked meals containing less fat than restaurant food in general, is that cooking meals at home helps keep my cravings at bay, plus I feel great being able to control exactly what’s in my food since I’m cooking it in my own kitchen. Aside from losing the baby weight before venturing back into the gym, my doctor says the prior strength training really paid off this time around, allowing me to get active much faster this time, compared to when I had Narayan and I hadn’t worked out at all since my knee injuries 4 years prior.

With Mina sleeping longer, which in turn allows me to get more sleep, I’m making time to workout a couple times a week strength training. Right now I’m focusing a lot on squats, deadlifts, lunges and planks in order to strengthen my core, as well as the muscle around my knees so I can accomplish my goal of being able to jog a couple miles a day. As with any type of workout, having the right shoes is just as important as form, so when HOKA asked if I wanted to try their FLY Collection, I couldn’t wait to take a pair for a spin in the gym and a light jog!

The FLY collection is designed for fitness enthusiasts like me, who workout in a variety of ways, in addition to running. I put the Cavu style to the test during my first trip back to the gym and was so impressed — not only are they the most lightweight workout shoes I’ve ever owned, but they have responsive, ‘intelligent’ PROFLY™ cushioning, making them softer in the heel for shock absorption, which is super important while running. They also come in a variety of bold color combos, making it fun to get dressed for workouts (because as I always say, when you look good you feel good)! 

What I noticed immediately during my first jog was how smooth the ride felt, even on rough terrain — I’ve never felt so quick and light on my feet! Now that I have the right shoes, I can’t wait to increase the frequency of my workouts and start jogging regularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment